National Institute for Health Development, together with European Society for Prevention Research (EUSPR, www.euspr.org) are organizing the 12th EUSPR Conference and Members’ Meeting on September 28th – September 30th, 2022, in Tallinn, Estonia. This is the first time for the conference to take place in Estonia.
The theme of the conference is ‘Prevention – Between Ethics and Effectiveness’ and the conference will discuss the challenges of being both effective and ethical in prevention. Different aspects of ethical prevention will be explored, such as:
- if prevention or doing prevention is always ethical,
- what is prevention allowed to do,
- how ethical aspects can affect the strategic communication about interventions, and
- what can science learn from practice about interventions.
Prevention science has gained more recognition in Estonia and in the rest of Europe during last years. At the same time there are challenges that affect implementation of high-quality prevention. For example, there is limited understanding of the value of prevention while helping (i.e., treating) a person who already has a very noticeable problem is considered essential. Many professionals in the field lack the training and support needed to effectively deliver and sustain prevention interventions, the use of ineffective or harmful methods is also still common.
The conference will help to:
- illustrate the value of prevention
- contribute to prevention advocacy in Estonia
- raise the quality of prevention in Estonia
- communicate the latest developments in prevention science
- support networking between European practitioners and scientists
In addition to the exciting theme, there will be many opportunities for exploring the city of Tallinn, trying out the tastes of Estonia and discovering the culture while socializing with familiar and new colleagues.
The next EUSPR conference is supported by the Enterprise Estonia (EAS) together with European Regional Development Fund through the support for international conferences. The budget of the project is 29903 euros, of which EAS and European Regional Development Fund will cover 70%.
We encourage everyone to join conference’s Facebook event (https://fb.me/e/4IlVfcttx), where all useful information will be added continuously.